The foundation of the Islamic University, Islamabad was laid on the first day of the fifteenth century Hijrah i.e. Muharram 1, 1401 (November 11,1980). This landmark of the beginning of the new Century symbolizes the aspirations and hopes of the Muslim Ummah for an Islamic renaissance. The university was created to produce scholar and practitioners who are imbued with Islamic ideology, whose character and personality conforms to the teachings of Islam, and who are capable to cater to the economic, social, political, technological and intellectual needs of the Muslim Ummah. Islamic Research Institute and few other units like Iqbal International Institute for Research & Dialogue, Dawah Academy, Shariah Academy and Institute of Professional Development are situated within the premises of majestic Faisal Mosque (spread over an area of 189,705 square meters) which is a symbol of International Islamic brotherhood and unity. In conformance with the Islamic precepts, the university provides academic services to men and women through separate campuses for each segment. These campuses, along with the central library, administrative wing and hostels, are located in sector H-10.
|International Islamic University, Islamabad
بين الاقوامی اسلامی يونيورسٹی اسلام آباد
|Chancellor||Asif Ali Zardari
President, Islamic Republic of Pakistan
|President||Professor Dr. Mumtaz Ahmad|
|Rector||Prof. Dr. Masoom Yasinzai (Prof. Fateh Muhammad Malik on leave)|
|Campus||Old campus around Faisal Masjid and new campus, Sector H-10 in Islamabad|
There are two campuses of university.
The university’s Old campus is located around the Faisal Mosque. It was designed by a Turkish architect and was donated to the university by late King Faisal of Saudi Arabia. The mosque is spread over an area of 190,000 square meters and can accommodate about 80,000 people.
The New campus is located in Sector H-10 of Islamabad, a sector given solely to the university. Construction of the first phase was completed in February 2003. A Women’s campus has been established. Central library construction was completed in 2006, along with the Lincoln corner.
The Government of Pakistan allotted Islamabad, Sector H-10, comprising 704 acres (2.85 km2) of land, to enable the university to shift to its own new premises.
The university comprises three male and three female Academic Blocks and eleven hostel blocks (seven for males and four for females).
As envisaged Master Plan of the new campus, the university will be completed in phases; Stage-I of Phase-I has reached culmination while stage-II is nearing completion. When constructed in its entirety, the university will accommodate 30,000 students (20,000 male and 10,000 female) in 22–25 faculties. In addition, there will be 57 hostel blocks for male students and 28 for female and partial accommodation for teaching/research and administrative staff.
There is to be a central mosque and a central library. Provision has been made for a commercial center and shops for the resident staff and the students.
The university consists of the following faculties:
- Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences
- Department of Computer Sciences & Software Engineering (NCEAC recognized)
- Department of Mathematics & Statistics
- Department of Environmental Sciences & Bio-Informatics & Technology
- Faculty of Engineering and Technology(PEC recognized)
- Department of Electronic Engineering
- Department of Mechanical Engineering
- Faculty of Arabic Language and Islamic Civilization
- Faculty of Languages, Literature and Humanities
- Faculty of Management Sciences
- Department of Business Administration
- Department of Technology Management
- Faculty of Shariah and Law
- Department of Law
- Department of Shariah
- Faculty of Social Science
- Department of Education
- Politics and International Relations
- Department of Psychology
- Department of History & Pakistan Studies
- Department of Islamic Arts and Architecture
- Department of Media & Communications
- Department of Sociology
- Faculty of Islamic Studies (Usuluddin)
- Tafseer & Quranic Sciences
- Department of Hadith & its Sciences
- Department of Comparative Religions
- Department of Dawah & Islamic Culture
- Department of Aqeedah & Philosophy
- Department of Seerah & Islamic History
- Islamic Research Institute
- Iqbal International Institute for Research & Dialogue
- International Institute of Islamic Economics
- Institute of Professional Studies (IPD)
- Dawah Academy
- Shari’ah Academy
- Iqra College For Technical Education(I.C.T)
- International Islamic University Schools
- English Language Centre
The major/colonel source of knowledge of the university is the central library serving as the knowledge backbone for research and development. It is one of the biggest libraries in Asia of Islamic learning and research materials. The library contains a collection of books, journals, research projects and international magazines.
Lincoln Corner is situated in the library. It contains material on American History. The Lincoln Corner has multimedia projectors, DVD players, and broadband internet.Mr. M. Obaid-ur-Rehman father of ‘Fatima’ is Coordinator for Lincoln Corner.
Dr. Muhammad Hamidullah Library
The International Institute of Islamic Economics provides facilities for research on Islamic economics. It contains rare books on Islamic law relating to economics and the Islamic way of running government.
Islamic Research Institute library is the source of knowledge regarding different levels of the Islamic research.
For science and technology the library contains 25,000 books. 15 periodicals are subscribed, and ten newspapers are purchased. The library can seat 50 users. The library has 550 research reports/theses. The library provides 12 hour service daily to the students.
Dawah Academy library
Dawah library supports the research, training and publication programmes of Dawah Academy. More than 22,000 books are available.
Each department of the university has its own small library as well.
The Islamic University has academic collaboration with the following universities:
- Al-Azhar University, Cairo, Egypt
- Ummul Qura University, Makkah, Saudi Arabia
- Islamic University of Medina, Medina, Saudi Arabia
- Imam Muhammad Bin Saud University, Riyadh, Saudi Arabia
- King Abdulaziz University, Jeddah, Saudi Arabia
- Ningxia University, People’s Republic of China
A number of teachers who specialize in Shariah, Usul al Din wa Da’wah, Arabic Language and other subjects are provided on deputation by these universities.
Professor Fateh Muhammad is the Rector. Dr. Mumtaz Ahmed is the President of the university. Mr. Professor Dr. Sahibzada Sajid-ur-Rehman is the Vice-President of the university.
Following are other officers of the university:
1. Dr. Mahmood Hassan Makhlof is the Dean Faculty of Arabic 2. Dr. Muhammad Irfan is the Dean Faculty of Basic and Applied Sciences 3. Dr. Ghulam Yasin Chohan is the Dean Faculty of Engineering and Technology 4. Dr. Asad Zaman is the Director-General of the Institute of Islamic Economics 5. Dr. Zafrullah Baig is the Dean of the Faculty of Islamic Studies 6. Dr. Amjad Rasheed is the Dean Faculty of Languages & Literature 7. Dr. Bashir Ahmad is the Dean, Faculty of Management Sciences 8. Dr. Zia ul Haq is the Dean Faculty of Shariah & Law 9. Dr. Nabi Bux Jumani is the Dean Faculty of Social Sciences 10. Dr. Zaitoon Baigum is the Director of Female Campus 11. Ms. Shagufta Haroon is the Director Academics, (Registrar)
- Academic Staff Welfare Association (ASA)
- Officer Welfare Association (OWA)
- University Staff Welfare Association (USWA)